OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP CATHOLIC SCHOOL FRIDAY FANFARE
May 20 - May 24, 2013 www.myolph.com
"In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability." To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington DC 20250-9140, or call 202-720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA
· Monday, May 20--Hot dog & bun, baked beans, cole slaw, peaches, milk
· Tuesday, May 21--Quesadilla, black beans, pineapple, salad, milk
· Wednesday, May 22--Tuna salad sandwich, tomato soup, crackers, pears, milk
· Thursday, May 23--Field Day cookout
· Friday, May 24--11:30 dismissal--no lunch--no After Care--BEGIN SUMMER BREAK!!!!!
Please attend Mass this weekend with your Parish Priest. "Blessed are they who hope in the Lord." Psalm 1
Our virtue for the month of May is "Charity." Charity is the virtue that gives meaning to all other virtues. It is the virtue that leads us to love others without exception as we love ourselves, always seeking what is good in thought, attitude, word, and action, and serving others.
**Please note a calendar change in the School News section**
· Monday, May --Field Day cookout/concession order forms and money due to homeroom teacher
· Monday, May 20--Booster Club election for officers, 6:00, School Library
· Tuesday, May 21--CAG meeting, 6:00, OLPH Conference Room--new date and location
· Wednesday, May 22--7th Grade Growing in Grace Mass, 8:15 A.M.
· Thursday, May 23--All school Mass, 8:15 A.M.
· Thursday, May 23--Field Day--more info. in School News
· Friday, May 24--All school Mass, 8:15--Academic Awards for 5th-7th, gym, after Mass
· Friday, May 24--11:30 dismissal--no lunch, no After School Care--BEGIN SUMMER BREAK!!!
STUDENT NEWS: B.V.M. Award winners, Duke TIP, Summer Camps, Yearbook,
NDHS Placement Tests
· B.V.M. Awards--On September 2, 1937, Our Lady of Perpetual Help School became a reality due to the hard work of the Sisters of Charity. The Blessed Virgin Mary Award (B.V.M.) was established in 2004 in honor of this community of Sisters. Students who exemplify the mission and core values of the Sisters of Charity (showing faithfulness and love to God, to those of the school, and to those in the community) are chosen to receive this award. The Sisters will receive a list of the names and a picture of those receiving the award this year. It is always difficult to choose one student; therefore, if a student is chosen one year, he/she cannot be chosen again for another year. The following students received the B.V.M. Award this year:
o Kindergarten--Sarah Beggs
o First Grade--Will Menham
o Second Grade--Denise Palacios
o Third Grade--Madison Thorp
o Fourth Grade--Cal Price
o Fifth Grade--Cole LeSar
o Sixth Grade--Julia Raabe
o Seventh Grade--Emily Roach
o Eighth Grade--Alexis Harris
· Duke TIP--Congratulations to the following students who participated in the Duke University Talent Identification Program: Bentley Burgess, Nolan Corbitt, Kersten Hicks, and Renee Hutton. Both Bentley and Nolan qualified for State Recognition. Good job, we are proud of you!!
· Summer Camps--OLPH School is offering several summer camps involving math/geometry/algebra, crafts, college application prep., music theatre, and football. Fliers are available through the school office.
· Yearbook--It's time to preorder your 2012-2013 yearbook! From now until May 22nd the cost of a yearbook is $30; after May 22nd the cost is $35. There are a limited number of yearbooks being printed so be sure to order yours now! Order forms are to be returned to Mrs. Carleen Evans, 5th grade teacher, with checks made payable to OLPH. An order form may be downloaded from your ParentsWeb account under the "Resource Document" heading.
· NDHS Placement Tests--Notre Dame High School is holding the required Math Placement exams for incoming freshmen at NDHS Monday, May 20, Tuesday, May 21, and Thursday, May 23. Optional foreign language placement exams will also be given. Contact Elizabeth Wheeler, Director of Admissions, 423-624-4618, ext. 1004, or email email@example.com .
SCHOOL NEWS: Field Day, Calendar Change, CAG/St. Cecilia's Closet, Ram Run
· Field Day--At the end of each school year the students in grades 1st through 7th participate in Field Day. There are many fun activities, including Obstacle Course, Basketball Hot Shot, Soccer Kick, 50 Yard Dash, to name just a few of the 16 events.
o If you would like to earn PIP hours by volunteering to help with these events you may register on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/k3NbYS , enter your email address and choose your spots. You may also contact Coach Todd Close at firstname.lastname@example.org .
o Mrs. Monica Mohler will have her Gyro-X-treme ride--this fun amusement ride was designed to train astronauts to feel zero gravity. It is safe for kids of all ages. The cost is $5.00 per person (this is an option--it is a fundraiser for the upcoming 8th graders).
o Hot dogs and hamburgers will be grilled by Booster Club and Knights of Columbus members. Food must be ordered by Monday, May 20, along with payment--please send exact change or a check made out to OLPH Booster Club). Extra order forms are available on ParentsWeb and in the school office.
o The concession stand in the gym will be open. Tickets are to be pre-ordered (on the same form as the hot dogs and hamburgers), and returned to homeroom teachers by Monday, May 20--please send exact change or a check made payable to OLPH Booster Club. On Field Day (Thursday, May 23), the students will be given their pre-paid tickets to use in the concession stand.
o Field Day attire--students in grades 1st and 2nd are to wear shorts, tennis shoes, and an OLPH t-shirt (e.g. Ram Run, intramural basketball, etc.); 3rd through 7th graders are to wear their PE uniforms and tennis shoes.
· Calendar Change--Please note this very important change to next school year's calendar:
o New date: Monday, April 21--Bishop's Day -- (originally scheduled for Feb. 18).
o An updated calendar is at the end of this Fanfare
· CAG/St. Cecilia's Closet--The St. Cecilia's Closet Summer Uniform Sale will be held in the main school building Saturday, June 22 after the 5:30 P.M. Mass, and Sunday, June 23 after the 10:00 A.M. and Noon Masses. Creative Arts Guild (CAG) is selling OLPH car magnets ($5) and blue OLPH cinch bags ($8). They are available in the Development Office--see Mrs. Cissy West. St. Cecilia's Closet has plenty of spring clothing. St. Cecilia's Closet is open during school office hours, Monday through Friday, 7:45 to 3:30.
· Ram Run--SAVE THE DATE! This year's Ram Run will be Saturday, October 19, the opening day of the Chattanooga Market's Oktoberfest celebration. If you are interested in helping out with one of OLPH School's largest fundraisers (think PIP hours!) please contact Dawn McAbee at email@example.com or 423-463-1780.
SPORTS NEWS: Coaches Needed, Tennis News, Track News, OLPH Football Camp,
· Coaches needed--We are planning ahead for next school year and need coaches for the following sports:
o 5th Grade Girls Basketball
o JV Boys Basketball
o Baseball (6th-8th)
o Softball (6th-8th)
o If you are interested in coaching any of these sports please contact Coach Todd Close at firstname.lastname@example.org .An early student sign-up for the 2013-2014 school year of athletics will take place during registration in August. This will help identify the level of interest in each sport. The final registrations will take place before each sport begins its season.
· Tennis News-- In tournament play last week, the OLPH Boys Varsity Tennis team lost to Christian Heritage, 2 - 5, but they did a great job. Bernard Lisy finished the season undefeated and Andrew Lisy was named to the ISC All-Conference team! The coaches would like to thank everyone for a great season, and invite upcoming 5th through 8th graders to join them next year. Go Rams!!
· Track News--The Elementary Track team has completed their season. This was the first year for this team at OLPH which was made up of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade boys and girls. Meets were held on Mondays and were attended by seven other schools from the ISC Conference. Each of our runners learned a lot about running the sport of track and a fun time was had by all.
· OLPH Football Camp--The OLPH Football Skills Clinic and Camp is set for June 10-14, 9:00 A.M. until Noon. Camp cost is $75 and includes camp T-shirt and daily snack. The Clinic will provide top flight football instruction with an emphasis on fundamentals. The camp is open to all rising 2nd - 8th graders. Registration forms can be returned to the school office.
· Booster Club Nominations--The OLPH Sports Booster Club will hold elections for next year's Executive Committee on Monday, May 20 at 6:00 P.M. in the school library. All Booster Club members are encouraged to attend. Contact Coach Todd Close at email@example.com if you have any questions.
OLPH CATHOLIC SCHOOL CALENDAR FOR 2013-2014 SCHOOL YEAR--
updated May 17, 2013
- Monday, August 5 – In-service day for faculty and staff
- Tuesday, August 6 – Registration Day / In-service for faculty and staff
- Wednesday, August 7 – In-service day for faculty and staff
- Thursday, August 8 - First day of school for students (full day)
- Monday, September 2 – School closed for Labor Day
- Friday, September 13 – Diocesan Celebration - dismissal at 11:30 for students and staff
- Friday, October 11 – Diocesan In-service –no school for students
- Monday, October 21 through Friday, October 25 – School closed for Fall Break
- Friday, November 15 – Catechetical In-service - no school for students
- Wednesday, November 27 through Friday, November 29 - School closed for Thanksgiving Break
- December, Friday 20 - Dismissal at 11:30 - begin Christmas Break
- Monday, January 6, 2014 - In-service day for faculty and staff
- Tuesday, January 7 – In-service for faculty and staff
- Wednesday, January 8 – Students return to school (full day)
- Monday, January 20 – School closed for MLK Day
- Monday, February 17 – School closed for President’s Day
- Friday, March 14 – Catechetical In-service - no school for students
- Monday, April 14 through Friday, April 18 –School closed for Easter Break (this is the week before Easter Sunday)
- Monday, April 21 -- School closed for Bishop's Day
- Friday, May 23 – Last day of school for students – dismissal at 11:30
- Monday, May 26 - School closed for Memorial Day
- Tuesday, May 27 – In-service day for all faculty and staff
- Wednesday, May 28 – In-service day for all faculty and staff